Thursday, April 5, 2012

"I'd really be happy if I could just have more"

It scares me to death that I can't remember the last time in my life where I woke up and felt content. I'm constantly in the midst of this juggling act, trying to fit everything into the perfect balance. How much is too much??... Seems like every time I get on twitter there is a new trending topic relating to people's past and childhoods. Childhoods were a lot of fun for most people, but I don't think that's the reason everyone misses it so much. When we were children we knew about less, so we cared about less. The greatest highlight of my childhood were random trips with my dad to the local "7-11" convenience store getting a slushie and a bag of skittles. To this very day, I still get excited when I drive past a "7-11" gas station. How crazy is that? A $2 trip to a freaking gas station is my best childhood memory!!! Have you ever noticed that whenever you get around rich/wealthy people all they want to do is reminisce on the days when they were broke. They always want to humor you with stories detailing all the ways they struggled, and the ridiculous methods they used to keep their head above water. They've finally achieved the lifestyle they envied for years, and now all they can think about is how much they miss the past. 

Jealousy finds a way to seep into every part of our personal lives, and manifest itself through any medium possible. It is the main reason Facebook has become one of the most popular sites in the world. We post pictures having a great time with friends/family in hopes that people will be jealous of our amazing life. We brag about a fun night out and inside jokes on each other's walls in hopes that people will be jealous that we've become that close with someone. We make sure to post regularly and often on a friend's wall so that everyone knows you've marked your territory. If you believe this isn't the case, then ask yourself why the whole invention of "E-mail" never took off like Facebook. I'm willing to bet you have more Facebook friends than e-mail addresses. Everything that is shared on Facebook could be shared through e-mail just as easily. What's the difference???.... E-mail isn't available for PUBLIC viewing. We care more about proving to people that we are loved, than we do actually being loved. 

Think of all the people who will never set foot in a church again because jealousy led to them being treated horribly. Think of all the crimes that have been committed in this world because someone was envious of another person. Think of all the marriages that failed because the couple couldn't stop comparing their marriage to everyone else. Think of all the good friendships that have ended because one person was too jealous to share THEIR friend with anyone else. 

For most people, there isn't a motivational speaker on this Earth that could motivate, drive, and push them more than jealousy. Our God is a jealous God, and we were created in his image. It makes sense that this is such a huge struggle in our lives. If only for one day, I'd love to wake up and feel like I have everything I could ever want in this life. I've grown so tired of my prayers sounding like I'm reading a Christmas list to Santa. It would feel so incredible if I   could spend time in prayer doing nothing but praising God simply for being God. Instead, I drone on and on and on about everything I need, then I throw in a quick request or two for loved ones so I don't come off sounding self-absorbed. If I'm sick of it, I can only imagine how God feels. Even as we constantly say that we are happy and content with life, our actions continue to state the honest feelings loud and clear: "I'd really be happy if I could just have more..."

No comments:

Post a Comment