Monday, April 23, 2012

If God treated mankind the way Americans treat Hispanics

All I wanted was some chicken nuggets. I'm not in the market for a new friend, and I definitely didn't want to become the sole audience for some guy  venting on a racist soapbox. Sometimes, God just finds unique ways to speak a word into your life. 


I was standing in line at a McDonald's (with a predominantly Hispanic staff) when a young white construction worker, probably in his late 20s, decides to strike up a conversation. He's gotten annoyed listening to the lady working the cash register. -- "Man I can't understand a damn thing she is saying. Really pisses me off! Everybody always sayin' how good and hardworking they are at their job. I know some guys in their 40s who could do the job way better. These Mexicans ain't nothing special."


He then goes on to explain a conversation he had with an Hispanic guy who was living in a house with four working people, cheated on his taxes, and still collected $500 dollars a month in government assistance.  This in turn led to the frustration he was feeling for his mother who wasn't able to work and had her government assistance reduced down to just $30 a month. -- "Don't get me started brother. The government is taking this country straight to hell. If you ask me, we need to drag all they Mexican asses right back across the border."-- And on that lovely note, this disgruntled man walked out of the restaurant.


Let's ignore the fact that the direction of racial hatred has changed so drastically that a young white male called me "brother", and focus on the point at hand. I'm not going to go into a huge political debate about where I stand on the whole immigration issue. Honestly, I'm sure both sides have relevant complaints and concerns. What bothers me the most is the way people can feel so passionately on a subject that has absolutely nothing to do with their eternal future with Christ.


Do you think for one second that we have done anything to deserve the blessings that God has placed in our lives? We "cheat" on God with the desires of our heart on a daily basis. Our prayer lives are nonexistent, bibles barely cracked open, and we can't even remember the last time we said a simple "thank you". There are so many people, including myself, that have never known what it feels like to go hungry, unclothed, or without shelter. One phrase I heard constantly from my mother as I was growing up is that "life's not fair". If God judged our lives based on what is "fair", we would ALL be dead.


We're quick to pass judgement on those we feel receive advantages that are undeserved or ill gained. However, our entire lifestyle is a complete mockery to the blessings that God has bestowed upon our lives. God would not place any obstacle or trial in your life that he felt you wouldn't be able to handle (1 Corinthians 10:13) . Stop seeing the disadvantages presented in your life as another reason to complain, and accept the challenge from your Father! 

1 comment:

  1. WOW, just think, in another time he may have been directing that to you and calling a white person of Italian descent brother. It amazes me the open bigotry against my Hispanic kin and it takes everything in me to keep from retaliating with a verbal assault. I swear it is God in me that keeps me from responding in the flesh. Thank you for sharing this Derek.

    ReplyDelete